Saturday, February 15, 2014

Act4Murder - Restaurant Professionals!

I am not one of those people who gloss over what went wrong. And what COULD have gone wrong at Beal Street in FWB was colossal. We showed up to set up our relatively easy show for 84 folks to find the restaurant in complete disarray. The 15 6-tops promised were nowhere to be found. There were standard booths and 4-tops, a couple of 6-tops, and 4 banquet style tables with no chairs. I'm looking around thinking... hmmm. I may have to re-figure my table configuration, but not alarmed at that point. Then the phone rang, and we were informed the owners would NOT be at the show, one of them had to be taken to the emergency room for "exhaustion," and we were on our own. We discussed canceling, but realized that would mean 84 folks expecting a great Valentine's Day night out would be disappointed. So... we decided to press. I started counting chairs and tables, and realized we were very short. Then came another phone call - we'd need to send someone to the hospital to pick up the silverware etc. needed for the show from the owner's car. Oh, and we didn't know what people had ordered. And we didn't know who had purchased in advance. And... At that point.. I LOST it. A bit of hysteria along with a face full of hives (I couldn't see out of my right eye for most of the night because the hive there was so large), but decided the best thing to do would be to call my sister who is nothing but logical and sensible. I got lucky. She was with my niece who is my sister times two. They both headed over, and ALL my actors got there as soon as they could to clean and set up tables (two of them brought more tables and chairs from their own homes), reconfigure seatings, and as the night went on, to PLATE and SERVE ALL THREE COURSES. My niece had to go to K-Mart and buy plasticware, as the restaurant didn't have near enough.  At one point my daughter Jessika, who is IN the show, was bar tending because they didn't have adequate coverage. And man, when she got behind the bar she made it her OWN!  Everyone stepped up and brought their own special skills into the mix. It was incredible.

You know what I learned tonight?! Act4Murder is absolutely amazing. In every way possible. We ROCK!!!!!!!!!

By the way, not only can we run a restaurant, but our show was flawless.  Comments back from the guests included, "Stepped up in a very difficult situation - put the show on despite the challenges!" "Awesome show! So glad we came!", "Love, love, loved!" and my personal favorite, "Thanks for going through with the show even though ALL the responsibilities fell on ya'll. Great way to celebrate the day and our anniversary." And that's one reason I'm so happy we pressed!  ~ Paula Hilton, Proud Founder of Act4Murder

3 comments:

Beachcomber Destin, Florida said...

Good job, Act4Murder! A little birdie tells us you have a great show lined up for tonight as well...

chriscmanson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.