Saturday, March 8, 2014

A KILLER night!

I'm still coming down from last night's high after our incredibly successful performance of KILLER IN THE KITCHEN.  Don't get me wrong - I expected the show to go well.  What I didn't expect was for the show to be perfect.  And that the guests (all 130 of them) would give my actors a standing ovation at the end of the night.  Or that the audience participation would be so amazingly hysterical.  Or that the songs and dances would go off without a hitch.  I guess when every single thing comes together and I look around and see people doubled-over laughing, I know I've done my job as a writer and as a director. Very proud of my actors, and myself!  :)

I'd also like to point out the venue was superb, as usual.  The show was at the Wyndham Garden Inn on Okaloosa Island, and Jessica Young and her crew did their typical amazing job setting up the room and making sure everything went smooth from their end.  The room was just gorgeous, the tables popped (my centerpieces turned out prettier than even I had imagined they would), the food was delicious, and the staff just the nicest people you could ever hope to work with.  Looking forward to the next one there too, in April for the Okaloosa Arts Alliance.  It's truly a pleasure to work at the Wyndham Garden Inn with Jessica and her staff.

And finally, the folks from Horizons are just amazing.  Tracy and her husband Mark go over and beyond. This fundraiser was Tracy's responsibility, and she worked her tush off making sure everything was perfect.  Plus she's a joy to work with.  Every step of the way, this fundraiser was pure fun to organize and put on.  And Mark!  Not sure where to even start with him.  What started as a simple idea last year to give the guests a souvenir photo has turned into a work of art from Mark's end.  He sets each photo up with exact precision and care, making sure to capture everyone in front of our show props, and then he printed, framed (frames handcrafted by my amazing sister, the CEO of Horizons, Dr. Julie McNabb) and distributed them to the guests at the end of the night.  A wonderful extra-special touch that will bring them back again next year!

Thank you to EVERYONE who worked so hard on this show.  It was a labor of love - my parents worked super hard on the props for the show - the DJ cover, stretcher, aprons and the structure needed to hang my "hollywood" banner.  My daughter Rochelle Kimball choreographed our death dance and the actors did her proud last night, not missing a step.  And those actors - Ron Altman, Joe Chase, Chris Manson, Missy Rogers, Sally Whitesell and Kay Yarbrough!  You breath life into those "voices in my head" and turn what I hope to be funny, memorable characters into larger than life, hysterical and unforgettable real people. And that's one of the reasons I love writing!  ~~ Paula

No comments: